Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Mea Culpa - Times Three!

Call it coming full circle, a return to what should have never changed or a step backward - whatever your personal view, the Liturgy is about to become palpably different. Of course since you are reading my blog, I will interject my opinion now - I love it, I long for it and I need it.

When the Mass was translated from Latin to English, much was lost. I believe the words used in the Liturgy were 'dumbed down' by removing very important words and themes. The Vatican and USSCB have listened and we will now be blessed with a more accurate and rich Order of the Mass. The new translation has gone through several steps of the approval process and it should be in use within the next two years.
_____________________________
For a clear illustration of one example, I will provide the text of the original Latin to English translation of the 1962 Mass, the current Confiteor we pray at Mass and the new version we will soon be praying at Mass:

1962: I confess to Almighty God, to Blessed Mary ever Virgin, to Blessed Michael the Archangel, to Blessed John the Baptist, to the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul, to all the angels and saints, and to you my brothers and sisters, that I have sinned exceedingly in thought, word, deed.(here he strikes his breast three times) through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault, and I ask Blessed Mary ever Virgin, Blessed Michael the Archangel, Blessed John the Baptist, the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul, all the Angels and Saints, and you my brothers and sisters, to pray for me to the Lord our God.

Current: I confess to almighty God, and to you, my brothers and sisters, that I have sinned through my own fault, in my thoughts and in my words, in what I have done, and in what I have failed to do; and I ask blessed Mary, ever virgin, all the angels and saints, and you, my brothers and sisters, to pray for me to the Lord, our God.

Future: I confess to almighty God and to you, my brothers and sisters, that I have greatly sinned in my thoughts and in my words, in what I have done and in what I have failed to do,
(And, striking their breast, they say:) through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault; (Then they continue:) therefore I ask blessed Mary ever-Virgin, all the Angels and Saints, and you, my brothers and sisters, to pray for me to the Lord our God.
_____________________________

Imagine when confessing to your community striking your chest three times and saying: "through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault." Kinda drives it home, doesn't it?

For the full basic text of the Order of the Mass, click here for the .pdf.

God bless you, dear reader.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Are they going to change it like that in all English-speaking countries, or just the United States?

---- D1913

Kelly said...

EXCELLENT question! I had to do some reasearch and this is what I found:

The specific approval I mentioned in the blog entry was received by the USCCB - the US Conference of Catholic Bishops. There is also an International Commission on English in the Liturgy (ICEL) to which the USSCB belongs. Back in November of 2007, news reports indicated the following:

"The latest draft is being submitted by ICEL for comments by the Vatican and by the 11 episcopal conferences represented in ICEL, which includes the bishops of Australia, Canada, England and Wales, India, Ireland, New Zealand, Pakistan, the Philippines, Scotland, South Africa, and the US."

So yes, dear reader, it appears that all participating Catholic Bishops Conferences will use the new translation. Since there are so many individual conferences working together, it has taken quite some time for each of them to study and approve the various texts. Then each conference had to submit request for approval of the translation individually.

It appears all speculations point to a 2009 introduction.

To learn more about ICEL, who serves on the commission and what their purpose is, go to http://www.icelweb.org/index.htm

God bless you! :)