A bit of advertising for what should be an outstanding program. Dr. Marcellino D'Ambrosio has created a 4-part series on the Nicene Creed and it is going to be broadcast on EWTN beginning March 30, 2009 for four consecutive days beginning at 6:30 pm EST and then again at 3 am. I would have passed the information along to you sooner, but I just received the note in my inbox.
From Dr. D'Ambrosio's website:
"I Believe" follows the outline of the Nicene Creed, but don't be mistaken--it is far from a stuffy, academic presentation of the basic beliefs of Roman Catholicism! Full of enlightening metaphors and colorful anecdotes, "I Believe" leads its audience not only to clearer understanding of the articles of faith Roman Catholics profess, but a deeper love relationship with God the Father, Son, and Spirit.
The Creed is one of the most important of Catholic prayers. And this series, since it is a commentary on the Creed, has an inspiring, spiritual impact, leading its viewers to prayer and deeper conversion. In fact, it was originally presented in an RCIA purification and enlightenment retreat.
But "I Believe" is also a very effective mini-course in Catholic apologetics, discussing the basic beliefs of a Roman Catholic and providing Catholic answers to many of the questions that the Creed was composed to address:
- Why would the Creator of the Universe be concerned with my trifling problems and preoccupations? Doesn't He have better things to do?
- How can we calll God "Father" in this age so preoccupied with the equality of the sexes?
- Do Catholics still believe in angels and demons, or are these just relics of a pre-scienfitic age?
- Are we saved by faith or by our own good deeds?
- What is faith anyway, and how is it different from irrational superstition?
- Isn't it enough just to believe in God and try to be a good person?
- Isn't Jesus only a great moral teacher? If he is the Savior, how is it that he saved us?
- Why did Jesus have to die?
- Isn't the resurrection of Jesus just a symbolic way of saying that he lives on in our hearts?
- Who is the Holy Spirit and what difference does he make in our lives?
- What is the Church and why is it necessary? Why do I need organized religion?
- Is the afterlilfe about finally being liberated from the body and enjoying life as pure spirits?