Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Desert or Dessert?

I find myself on a long awaited upswing of the faith-life roller coaster.  After having allowed myself to go with the flow of life envisioning myself as more utilitarian in purpose than Temple of the Holy Spirit, I have reached the point where my perspective is more clear than it has been in perhaps months.  I have been out in the desert and didn't even recognize the situation until I was able to have the benefit of some hindsight.  I share this not because of some need to confide in a diary or anonymous readers who ponder here with me.  I am no Jerry Springer devotee and abhor the fact that so many people feel the need to confess on television to millions rather than in the Sacrament of Confession to God.  It has struck me that I am not alone in my humanity and desert bound holiday and I suppose misery does like company at times.  I do not wish to remain in this place with no oasis and I can see libation in the not-so-distant future. 
Scenic Desert

I think that is the difference between someone who has a deep and abiding love for Christ and one who does not.  I am filled with great hope and I know that persistence reaps great reward.  Others who seek not Christ but an easy fix know that what lies ahead is a cycle of spiritually running in place and landing nowhere.  The safety net of familiarity lends a delusion of dessert rather than desert if you look just a bit further, run a bit faster, put up with what you shouldn't for just a little longer, indulge in things you know you shouldn't just a bit more.



Thankfully, I put my faith in Jesus Christ.  If the desert was good enough for Him to spend time, it should certainly be good enough for me.  Today I will pray the Glorious Mysteries even though it is Tuesday.  I have no time for sorrow today as I emerge from a dry spell. 



*Please use the comment feature to share your faith experiences with others or send mail to catholicponderings@yahoo.com

No comments: