Scenario: You raise your children to know and love the Lord and our Holy Mother, to see all men and women as being made in the image of God and to understand that sexual relations are to be solely reserved for married people. They are surrounded in the home with love and images that remind them of their mission as Baptized individuals. You encourage them to frequent the Sacraments and remind them of the importance of prayer in their lives. By sending them to a good Catholic school and overseeing computer access and television viewing, you hope to protect them from rampant secularism. It is summer time and that means time for the annual Scout camp with the local troop for one of your youngsters. You trust the leadership and the other children in the troop are for the most part pretty good kids from what you have seen. 'Mary's' bunkmate is someone who attends your church which offers comfort that all will be well. When the week is over, you pick up your child and anxiously await the many stories of adventure, mosquito bites and poorly cooked meals over the campfire. Instead, a long story begins to unfold of two children (one leading the other along) in the troop whispering long into the night to all who would listen about how to view pornography on the computer without parents knowing. The images and vocabulary and that were planted into your child's mind, heart and soul can never be erased; innocence lost forever. Talk was not of nudity or descriptions of anatomy that one could view in a magazine twenty years ago. Described in minute detail is deviant sexual relations between siblings as viewed on the internet, acts between man and woman that no one with respect for the individual would ever consider doing, let alone record and transmit into cyberspace. Instructions are given on how to erase the traces of the pornography so that Mom cannot detect such visits. The conversation turns to the young 'educator' boasting about seeing certain classmates in the nude, mocking purity rings and other children who aren't 'going out with someone' and on and on and on.
- Every second - $3,075.64 is being spent on pornography.
- Every second - 28,258 internet users are viewing pornography.
- Every second - 372 internet users are typing adult search terms into search engines.
- Every 39 minutes: a new pornographic video is being created in the United States.
- When entering search terms in a search engine, 23% of all searches under the term 'porn' were under the age of 18. I will not specifically list other search terms as they are explicit.
- The average age for boys to be exposed to pornography is age 12 and for girls it’s 14, according to a poll of 26,000 college students through 2009. By age 14, 82% of boys have been exposed to porn
- 25% of teen girls and 33% of teen boys have had nude or semi-nude images—originally meant to be seen by someone else—shared with them online or on mobile phones
- There are 100,000 websites that offer pornography and 1 in 7 youths report being solicited for sex on the internet.
- 4.2 million (12% of total websites)
- 8-16 year olds in percentage having view porn online: 90% (most while doing homework)
- US adults who regularly visit Internet pornography websites: 40 MILLION
- Christians who said pornography is a major problem in the home: 47%
- The United States is the top producer of video pornography
- The United States is the top producer of pornographic web pages by far with 244,661,900 pages or 89 percent
Pornography is ruining marriages, families and our children. The sin pours out to others and cannot be blotted out just as one cannot 'un-ring' a bell. Listed below are links to helpful sites, support and materials for suggested reading. We are under assault from satan and we all must take a stand NOW. Think this doesn't affect you? Chances are very good your child, your grandchild, your husband, your friend or your parent has been deeply affected by pornography in some form. Now is not the time to put your blinders on. Remember: Sin is not only that of commission. What are you failing to do today in regard to pornography?
True Knights - True Knights was founded to encourage the spiritual growth of men, to promote a true and courageous faith among men of all vocations world-wide.
As St. Joseph's Covenant Keepers, we are not just concerned with our own families. We will also strive for a Christlike concern for the spiritual and material welfare of other families in our community, in our parish, and in other localities throughout the world.